Translate

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Are you a Girl Scout – always Prepared? Are you ready to Live a Little?


I had a surgical procedure recently which made it difficult to get my blog out on time. I hate when that happens! The only thing a person can do is to go with the flow and hope for the best.

while I convalesce, I’ve been doing more reading. Old treasures lodged in my bookcase dusty and forgotten. One of my favorites is a small book of stories and poems edited by Sandra Halderman Martz called “If I had my life to live over... purchased along with another winner “When I am an old woman I shall wear purple” also edited by Martz.

Usually found in artsy gift shops, these books are a delight to read and ponder. Nadine Stair wrote the forward for the first book. Her good advice inspired me:

"Tickles from God" acrylic on canvas
“If I had my life to live over, I’d dare to make more mistakes next time. I’d relax, I would limber up. I would be sillier than I have been this trip. I would take fewer things seriously. I would take more chances. I would climb more mountains and swim more rivers. I would eat more ice cream and less beans. I would perhaps have more actual troubles, but I’d have fewer imaginary ones. . .  If I had my life to live over, I would start barefoot earlier in the spring and stay that way later in the fall. I would go to more dances. I would ride more merry-go-rounds. I would pick more daisies.”

From the same book, Barbara L. Thomas penned a lovely poem called “A Weaver”

“Once
contemplated
   a disturbing
       fray
before
choosing the

 way
the pattern
    should continue
            She
    taught
the shuttle

 symmetry
and rose from
    the loom
            clothed in
 beauty of her
own

fashioning


The poem is not only artfully constructed it captures the inner soul of the weaver and her thought process as she places thread over thread in a colorful expression of her passion.

Artists inspire and encourage one another. Yes, we’re in competition, but we can also appreciate what is different from our own personal style. For instance, when I buy jewelry, I prefer to buy from an artist rather than a retail store. The jewelry is unique and I usually find something unusual that becomes a conversation piece.


For my birthday this year, my daughter and her husband gave me a beautiful necklace from Carrie’s Creations on Etsy. A family tree is surrounded by six circles each representing one of my children. The bright blue stones are eye popping next to the black wiring.





Another daughter gave me a long leather beaded bracelet that wraps the arm and fastens in place. Of course, I had to buy an outfit that would set both of them off. Amazing things happen when you have the jewelry in hand first and then search for an outfit to compliment the whole ensemble. I chose a white "Hot Cotton" two-piece outfit with earthy colors.






I rarely purchase art prints from someone else (I have enough of my own). I do advertise other artist’s work on my blog, however, and enjoy touting the successful artists that are out there by linking to their web sites. Inviting other artists to do a guest blog is another way to share the limelight and help your followers and fellow bloggers at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment