Translate

Thursday, September 17, 2009

Nature unleashed

Armadillos

Armadillos are the miniature knights of the underworld. Their strange armored bodies are usually seen early in the morning or at dusk; a scurrying blur in front of headlights or as road kill the day after.

When I finally get to see one wrapped in bony layers of silver, pushing a tapered snout into the ground to sniff out ants and grubs, I stare in disbelief. Whether to laugh at such a creature, run away in fear, or praise God for small miracles are all up for grabs.

I watch in silence from only three feet away. The silvery armored tail is pointed in my direction like a sharp, menacing spear. I hear a swish and I’m off like a shot, my forgotten camera still dangling from my wrist. Who wants a painting of an armadillo anyway?

4 comments:

  1. Carol,
    I am extremely proud of you! You have a wonderful
    artistic talent. I love your art work. I especially like Robin Hood and the Racoons at Sunrise. Congratuations of your accomplishment.
    Love Boo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Brenda, and I hope you'll visit my blog again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL .. "Who wants a painting of an armadillo?" Actually, I have a friend who'd probably be thrilled.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Give me her name and I'll call!
    Thank you again for all your kind words Kelly. See you in blog land.

    ReplyDelete