Translate

Saturday, December 8, 2012

What drives your engine, propels your motor, and keeps you going?

"Brown Thrasher in Sunlight" 16 x 20 acrylic on panel

We are all like boats, bobbing around on an ocean called life. Sometimes the sea is calm, and sometimes it’s frantic with overwhelming waves of anxiety and trouble. Sometimes we are crushed by grief, by loneliness or failure. We may be overcome by tragedy, death, or guilt. The only way to steady the boat is to have an anchor; a tool, a mission, a purpose or a hope to hold onto.

These items are the opposite of their replacements: addiction, escapism, self-indulgence. Why are they different? Because tools stabilize our lives when the waters get rough. A mission or a purpose keeps us from capsizing, drowning, or giving up.

"Sandhill Cranes at Twilight"  24 x 30 acrylic on canvas
Faith is another component that many people want to ignore. Faith is simply a belief in something larger than yourself which gives you strength and stability. If your faith is anchored on a solid foundation of knowledge and truth, you can withstand the outside forces that come up to battle against you; the “waves,” as it were, of difficulty and rejection.

“I believe with all my heart that standing up for America means standing up for the God who has blessed our land. We need God’s help to guide our nation through stormy seas. But we can’t expect him to protect America in a crisis if we just leave him over on the shelf in our day-to-day living.” Ronald Reagan

"Americana" 16 x 20 acrylic on canvas
The same holds equally true in our own lives. If we leave our higher power, our anchor on a shelf, how can it help us?

Many people have enough faith and trust in themselves that they feel no need to go beyond their personal or extended knowledge. I’ve often admired people like this who have greater ability and greater strength than me. I’ve also seen these seemingly confident and talented people crumble over things I consider trivial.

I’d really be interested in finding out what gives your life strength and purpose. Your suggestions and your perspective might help someone else.

"Robin Hood" 16 x 20 acrylic on canvas in barn wood frame
To get you started, here is a story about someone we all know: Lady Gaga; just click the link, and then please come back:


Featured Artist
I’m sharing a video from Jon McNaughton, a magnificent artist, who illustrates the meaning of Christmas with his gift.

4 comments:

  1. Lots of food for thought there, Carol!

    And after thinking about your question for a bit, I came to the conclusion that for me it's to do with being authentic. 'I've gotta be me!' and if I let anything stop me from being who I am (ie an artist of some sort) I won't be 'being me'. I couldn't live like that even though I'm paying a high price in that a couple of my friends are not too pleased about my determination!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being authentic is everything! It's being who you are and who you're meant to be. When we deny ourselves this "gift" we cheat ourselves of life and meaning. Great comment, Judy!

      Delete
  2. I love the link about Lady Gaga and creativity being recharged after rejection. I try not to lose faith in myself and my potential. I keep plodding away. Whether I earn recognition or not it's what I need to do for myself. I love your birds - beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like your comment, Steph! I guess we can't all be famous, but if we do the best we know how to do there is satisfaction and pride in that. Good luck!

      Delete