Translate

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Sadness is a Part of Life; Death is Inevitable



My sister was my hero. For almost 40 years she battled Multiple Sclerosis (M.S.). She was in a wheel chair for the last 20-25 of those years. In all that time, I never heard a complaint or a negative word. She remained optimistic with her faith intact.

When people would visit, it was they who went away uplifted. Her laughter and bubbly personality never wavered in spite of her disability. When her speech began to falter, I remember sitting with her hoping to understand what she was trying to say. I began a game of charades to help her express what was on her heart. This resulted in a raft of giggles from both of us until I finally discovered her meaning.

“Thank God my sister is still in there,” I remember thinking.


The last time we were together I wasn’t so sure. By this time she was almost comatose. Her large eyes stayed open. What I thought were tears of joy at our meeting were only her body’s response to moisten her eyes. Her skin was radiant and wrinkle free. She had not a gray hair on her head. How could she be so ill and look so beautiful?

I decided it was her spirit shining through. The nurse fed her a noontime lunch with a syringe filled with nutrients which she inserted into Jean’s feeding tube. This caused her breathing tube to bubble and froth as she took air in and out. I wiped the spittle from her mouth with a towel and felt honored to be able to do this for her, helping her through this arduous humiliating ordeal.


Somewhere inside did she recognize me and know I was there? I hope so. I had only been home a few days when I received a call that she had passed away. Had she held on long enough to see me? So many close calls had come and gone. She was in and out of the hospital on the brink of death throughout the past 20 years.

I will miss her. I miss the beautiful person she was and the person she continued to be through all the ups and downs, the falls, the concussions, the broken ribs that occurred as she fought to stay upright on her own. I will miss her courage and her optimism. She fought a good fight. She remained faithful and true. Those who knew her and loved her were the better for having known her.

We are not alone. People notice us wherever we go even though we may not know it. We influence for good or bad everyone around us; a small act of kindness, an encouraging word, a warm hand reaching out to comfort do not go unnoticed. The gifts of the soul are simple and free, but they last forever.



She is in a better place. I imagine her dancing and singing and doing all of the things she was prevented from doing; a prisoner of her horrible disease. Sing Jean!  Dance Jean, rejoice and be glad for the Lord your God shall shelter you from all pain and sickness.

Artist of My Soul

O Lord of light, of form and hue,
   Who has created all things new,
Create in me, from shapeless clay,
   An instrument on which You play.

God of the dance that planets tread,
   Who walks beside and soars ahead,
O let me move to worship Thee,
   Come, Holy Spirit, dance with me.

God of the Living Word, Poet of Time,
   Teach me Your words
   in Your cadence and rhyme.

O Lord of beauty, Lord of art
   Who gives a song for every heart,
Carve out my life, reshape and mold,
   And be the Artist of my soul.


(He hath put a new song in my mouth.
 Psalm 40:3 NIV)


15 comments:

  1. So sorry. And I'm just in awe at what some people are able to survive in their lives. Life is not easy for any of us but on so many different levels. Stories like this uplift me and remind me how lucky I am. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad for your comments, Sandra! We all learn and receive something from others.

      Delete
  2. Well Carol, I am happy that you are celebrating your dear sister's life. It's wonderful to find comfort in the Lord. You write so beautifully that you should publish a healing book. It would help many people :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Sandi. I'll give it some thought. Thanks!

      Delete
  3. Carol that is a beautiful tribute to our dear sister. Thank you for expressing all the feelings I myself have inside. I love you!

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carol thank you for expressing the thoughts that I had in my heart about our dear sister Jean. Your a fantastic writer and I'm proud that your my sister! Love Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, I am sorry for your loss. I believe too that your sister is in a better place and is able to do all the things she couldn't do on this earth. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That thought gives me comfort. I imagine her running, dancing, and singing. "She is free, free at last!"

      Delete
  6. Beautiful, from a beautiful person. Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, so sorry for your loss. What a lovely spirit of life your sister had. I guess it runs in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We shall all die one day, but what makes death a little easier is knowing what you did with your life in between and leaving a wonderful legacy behind for others.

    Despite your sisters illness, she was able to make everyone else around her happy and gave them encouraging words. She did all she could with what she had, and her life will be remembered by many in a fond way.

    What a touching post and I'm very sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very insightful. Many people think they have nothing to give, and yet look at what she gave to others. What a gift! Thank you for sharing.

      Delete