Translate

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Seeing is believing and not seeing is Foolishness


It’s been two years since I had my eyes checked. I sometimes think the reason I like to paint with bright colors is because my eyesight is growing dim. The beginnings of cataracts are clouding my eyes, and my invisible bifocals slip down on my nose while I paint. Getting old is not as fun as some people make it out to be.

You’re only as young as you feel, people like to say. But what happens when you’re not feeling as young as you used to feel? Ah, now there’s the rub.

"Blending In" Acrylic on canvas
I was overjoyed to find that my eyes are relatively in good health, and I don’t need to see the doctor for one year. All my fretting was for nothing. My husband, on the other hand, is having to redo his cataract surgery in a few weeks. In this light, I couldn’t help but think of all the expressions we use every day pertaining to sight.

We say someone is “looking beyond the mark” when they worry too much about the future and not enough about the present.

We say someone is “short-sighted” when they fail to plan ahead.

Wisdom is often compared with sight, as in understanding. When we gain understanding, we can see truth clearly.

Most art instructors agree that what they really teach their art students to do is how to see. Being able to focus and see what is rather than what we think is there is a matter of re-training your eyes to ignore your brain’s perceptions.

"Pelican Pointe" 8 x 10 acrylic on canvas. Recently SOLD 20 x 24 Print on FAA
The brain has a tendency to fill in missing pieces for us, much the same way a computer is programmed to finish or fix a misspelled word. It has been proven that we can read a sentence of consonants without the vowels because our brain fills in the missing letters.

Truth is a lot like that. We must learn to examine what is actually there, but also call into play our sixth sense or gut instinct. Sometimes we know something is true and we ignore it. 

Why do we ignore truth: because of preconceptions that have been taught to us
by our parents or teachers and because of ingrained habits or traditions. 

Thinking clearly for ourselves requires searching, learning, studying, and something many people call “heart” knowledge; another term for gut instinct.

Seeing with an artist’s eye requires focus, study, and practice. Gaining an understanding of how things are made and how they work together helps to define form, shape, and movement.
Learning to see what is instead of what might be or could be is how professional skill is developed. Innate talent helps, but the knowledge is out there for all of us to use and better ourselves.
"Brown Thrasher" 16 x 20 acrylic on panel in decorative barn wood frame

6 comments:

  1. Carol, what a wonderful post. "Being able to focus and see what is rather than what we think is there is a matter of re-training your eyes to ignore your brain’s perceptions." I love how clearly you express even the most complex ideas. I don't think I've ever read a better description of what an artist's work and journey consists of.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! Since I have always admired your "Profound" wisdom on your blog, I'm pleased with your comments.

      Delete
  2. I am also adjusting to eyesight difficulties. A month ago I started experiencing floaters and flashes and had to see the eye doctor. Just as you explained, my wonderful brain is starting to fill in the missing pieces and adjust the shadows and blurring.I hardly notice it anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Karen I was plagued with floaters and light flashes, too. I still have the light flashes, and all they can determine is that the floaters trap light or the light reflects off the floaters. It's irritating! I seldom drive at night anymore because of it. Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  3. I just don't know how artists, craftsmen, or anyone who has to use sight to do a job copes if they have problems with their eyes. I know that when I go to places around England or abroad that has pitch blackness at night, it's hard for me to be relaxed. If I can't see my hand inches in front of my face during those midnight hours it becomes an issue.
    I'm glad that your eyes are working well for you to continue producing those lovely works of art and I pray that your husband has successful surgery so his eyes can be improved too.
    In another way, we must all learn to see in a different light and use all the senses that we have been given for a period of time.
    Love the paintings as usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so enjoy hearing from you. Glad that we are now able to connect. Blind people learn quickly to depend on other senses. We must all try to expand this built-in system we call "the senses."

      Delete