Translate

Friday, March 7, 2014

Grab a Brush and let the Healing Begin!

"Lady in Waiting" 11 x 14 oil on canvas
Why is art one of the most popular methods used in healing? We certainly don’t need more artists in the world. What is it about the practice of touching brush to canvas that heals the soul?

My conclusion is the “focus” that painting requires. The very act pulls you out of yourself and takes you on a journey of line, color, texture and form. Feelings are given life and anguish melts into fluid that is pushed and pulled into a heartfelt story.

(Work in Progress with edits)
There is beauty in the finished product. Discoveries are made about one’s self. Inner turmoil is released and anger spent. As paint flows, tears run. The horrifying and ugly are confronted and expressed. Unspoken words are visualized and controlled rather than running wild in the fear worn caverns of the mind.

Afterward the cleansed heart heals, the pain dissolves, and the artist is refreshed. Is it any wonder that people want to take up art to see what they’ve been missing?

That’s exactly how I began to paint many years ago. A friend, knowing that I was depressed and struggling with a growing family and a difficult marriage suggested I join her in a neighborhood class taught by an artist in her basement studio. I tagged along, not knowing what to expect.

It was love at first brush. I found my niche! And in the process, I lost myself completely in each canvas. My self-esteem blossomed, my coping skills increased, and I never looked back.

From my Garden, front walkway.
For some, healing begins with music. I met a wonderful woman who heals with her guitar and a song. She visits hospitals, rest homes and other areas where suffering is paramount. Her comforting melodies have helped terminal patients get a grip on their illness and passing. She has increased hope in the hopeless.
"Peace Plant"
















We have all witnessed children with physical or emotional disabilities make great strides around animals such as horses and dogs. They overcome fears, gain self-confidence, and feel better about themselves. The warmth of touch and connecting is a key component.


Discover your passion and begin the healing!

Amarylis on my Linnai.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful story, Carol. I have discovered all art has a kind of healing quality, if you will. It involves the whole being! It's relaxing and provides a means to leave your comfort zone and allows people to connect in areas we otherwise would not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right, my fellow artist! Appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  2. Lovely pictures. Nature does have a way of calming and soothing the soul, and you capture that in your work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much, Trevor. I have a deep and long love affair with nature, thanks to my grandfather who was a biologist and teacher. I learned so much from him. He had a gentleness and respect for all living things.

    ReplyDelete