Translate

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Creative Temperament

Creative people are a temperamental lot. We have our ups and downs, our highs and lows. Take my friend, Annie. She has inspired me in so many ways. Her enthusiasm has kept me working, taking classes, and taking risks. But the other day at art league, she blurted out: “I’m so sick of painting!”

“No,” I thought. “Not Annie!” I was completely blown away.

We all have those days, those times in our lives when all the stressors come together at once and pile on. Normally, we can shrug it off. But all it takes to push us over the edge is a turn in our health or circumstances, and we find ourselves either spinning out of control or winding to a grinding halt.



Writing a blog is great discipline. I can’t afford to quit or allow myself to give in to pressure or self-pity. Although, I’ve come close. Take my newest painting, “Playing Dress-Up.” I shared with you a sketch and my plans, but I’ve had difficulty getting it off the ground. I planned to add my antique doll buggy; but if I do, will the little girl become a figment of the past or will she retain the spirit of a contemporary child dressed up in her mother’s clothes?

The first coats of paint are down. Here is where I show my vunerability and an artist’s struggle to find the story and the detail needed to complete the painting and really nail it down. Your input is always welcome.

I haven’t had a contest or competition for at least a year. If you have any ideas, I’m open to them. Last year I asked for submissions for my “With These Hands” series (three are completed at this point). The winner, the person whose photo I chose to paint, received a free print. I’m open to a drawing for a free painting or free greeting cards from a selection of paintings of your choice. Here is one submission that may yet form the basis of a painting. Please share your contest ideas in the comments area.


I’m also looking for a guest blogger. This willl give you a chance to feature your blog and style of art plus your feelings about your craft that you would like to share on my blog. Please contact me with your interest.

No comments:

Post a Comment