Translate

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Running on Empty

Every now and then, we all run into a wall, either of our own making or because of circumstances: health and time constraints, personal obstacles, an awareness that we need something; a jumpstart, a class, some inspiration.

I have reached that point. My tail has been dragging and I don’t even feel like creating, let alone blogging. The weather is largely to blame. This time of year tourists and springbreakers flood the area with teeny bikinis and exhaust fumes escaping from cold winter doldroms of their own.

Aaaaah -- Spring!

But this year, instead of our usual mild temperatures, the tourists were slammed with a blast of summer heat and humidity. The beachgoers are loving it; but by afternoon, I’m feeling like last year’s petunias. If this is a foreshadowing of summer’s tropical onslaught, I’m in trouble along with the other “locals” who are drousy and disoriented by the early heat and the sudden temperature changes. We went from comfortable lows and highs in the sixties to highs in the 90s with 75% humidity in a matter of days!

A Star is Born                     
The effect is an uptick in sweat and heat exhaustion, and a downturn in energy level. I seem to be sleeping longer and accomplishing less. To fill in the gaps while I regain my stamina, I did some quick, silly Easter sketches. I find humor helps dissipate the doom and gloom. I hope you enjoy them!

Buy me -- Buy me!




















I Found it -- I Found it!


If you haven’t visited my art website http://carol-allen-anfinsen.artistwebsites.com/, you may find my illustrations entertaining. They were prepared for the book “Inez Ibis Flies Again, the Story of a Courageous Ibis who never Gave Up.” You can click on the book icon below in the right hand column for a free preview.

4 comments:

  1. Lovely fun sketches, Carol - and I hope you very soon recover your usual energy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't funny that we have had endless gray skies and rain for so long and I often feel the same lack of oomph! We must be fair weather peeps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like you are experiencing spring fever. As for the weather, well I understand about Florida and we in D.C. area are no strangers to heat and humidity. I just bide my time till fall. Two days ago it was 88 and yesterday rainy and in the 50's. What a drastic change. And of course we had visitors from Florida and they were complaining about the cold. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments! I'm definitely a fair-weather person. But time seems to fly and heal us. This morning we watched the martins. They arrived March 1st, and they will be gone by mid-May. I will miss them. The nesting herons on our cypress island will be gone before we know it. One nest is already empty. Life goes on and so do we.

    ReplyDelete