Translate

Friday, June 24, 2011

Painting From Within Leads to Discovery

My last three paintings have been a diversion from the norm, at least for me. I’ve tried to let my imagination and the spirit lead me into new territory.

In each painting, I started with a vision, and then tried to develop it by looking for models, ideas, and supportive materials. I allowed myself to experiment and go with the flow of the moment; sometimes creating on the spot. I’m trying to challenge myself into being more experimental; more daring.


First was my ethereal piece: “Sand Crane Dreams,” followed by a mixed-media painting called “Broken;” a look at the effects of turbulance, poverty and conflict in people’s lives.


My current work-in-progress, introduced in a previous blog, will be called “The Lost.” The young Indian boy captured my heart and imagination. The legends and lure of India aroused my curiosity, and I made a decision to use crows as a symbol of death.


I’m using a 20x24 canvas which is prepped with yellow ochre and white Gesso. When it was dry, I sketched my drawing over it. Afterward, I used acrylic to draw with a paint brush and to cement the drawing in place. There maybe some problems with perspective at this point, but I think I have a nice structural framework to work from.

I like the impressionistic background, and may leave it almost as it is. I plan to use layers of oil paint over the boy and the two crows (center of interest). This will make the figures stand out even more. Whether I go back into the background with oils or acrylic is all up for grabs at this point.

I may do one more in this series before trying something else. I’m learning that when an artist’s skill reaches a “jumping off place,” magic happens; the mind and heart lead and the trained brushwork follows, not the other way around. I’m excited to see where my brush and my imagination lead me next!

4 comments:

  1. Quite disturbing. The boy has such a haunted and desperate glare, such deep,sad eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is disturbing isn't it? So why do I feel I must paint it? Not exactly living room fare. The boy haunted me from the start and I just had to paint him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is he the boy from the photo in your older post?It is amazing how you made a wonderful story of that photo by adding two crows above his head. It is a disheartening photo actually but you made it artistic and deep.
    I am impressed with no end.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the same boy. Since crows are "harbingers of death," and the boy is "on the street," not well taken care of, they are taking him away; hopefully to a better place.

    The painting is a sobering message.

    ReplyDelete