Translate

Friday, June 24, 2011

Painting From Within Leads to Discovery

My last three paintings have been a diversion from the norm, at least for me. I’ve tried to let my imagination and the spirit lead me into new territory.

In each painting, I started with a vision, and then tried to develop it by looking for models, ideas, and supportive materials. I allowed myself to experiment and go with the flow of the moment; sometimes creating on the spot. I’m trying to challenge myself into being more experimental; more daring.


First was my ethereal piece: “Sand Crane Dreams,” followed by a mixed-media painting called “Broken;” a look at the effects of turbulance, poverty and conflict in people’s lives.


My current work-in-progress, introduced in a previous blog, will be called “The Lost.” The young Indian boy captured my heart and imagination. The legends and lure of India aroused my curiosity, and I made a decision to use crows as a symbol of death.


I’m using a 20x24 canvas which is prepped with yellow ochre and white Gesso. When it was dry, I sketched my drawing over it. Afterward, I used acrylic to draw with a paint brush and to cement the drawing in place. There maybe some problems with perspective at this point, but I think I have a nice structural framework to work from.

I like the impressionistic background, and may leave it almost as it is. I plan to use layers of oil paint over the boy and the two crows (center of interest). This will make the figures stand out even more. Whether I go back into the background with oils or acrylic is all up for grabs at this point.

I may do one more in this series before trying something else. I’m learning that when an artist’s skill reaches a “jumping off place,” magic happens; the mind and heart lead and the trained brushwork follows, not the other way around. I’m excited to see where my brush and my imagination lead me next!