Translate

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Things Every Artist Needs to Know

Painting is a process. We perfect our skill as we practice our craft: mixing colors, choosing the right brush, understanding the principles of drawing and composition, etc.

Here are some important things I’ve learned along the way:

  • Never put your coffee cup beside your turpenoid jar.
  • Don’t correct a small flaw in a painting before going out for the evening. A flaw turns into a major change, into an overhaul.

  • Don’t participate in an art show on a windy day. A damp oil painting attracts a lot of dust and gravel when the wind blows. Choose your infrastructure wisely: an easel turns into a toothpick under stress; even an expensive frame cracks and splinters when it hits the pavement.


  • If you’re into impressionism and paint outdoors (plein air), where you sit matters! If in a field or meadow, avoid the cowpies, the fire ants, the clusters of burdock. Trees make wonderful shade, but they also house a menagerie of problems. (use your imagination!)

There’s always a price to be paid for success. When you spend more time on your craft:
  • The house gets cleaned less
  • Meals are less appetizing and more frugal
  • You go out to dinner more and entertain less
  • Your closets are filled with painting supplies
  • Finished paintings are stacked in boxes under your bed
  • You have more painting clothes than regular clothes
  • Your friends tend to be artists
  • Your husband or significant other is becoming impatient
  • You wish you had more time, but you don’t

And so it goes……..

7 comments:

  1. oh boy....how true....all of it! I can't even decide which comment I like the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute bum in sketch 1. Who's your model? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My imagination. That's my "I wish it were mine" fantasy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful - must pass it around!

    (apologies if I've posted this twice - the first attempt didn't appear to have worked)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hilarious :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel the same. When I saw you live in Ft. Meyers (my late Aunt and Uncle lived there) I wonder if you have alligators in that water in the photographs. They scare me. I really like the influence your Grandfather left you and your artworks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Linda!

    And Theresa, I appreciate that you took the time to read my bio. Thanks! Yes, there are probably alligators in there. I would never swim in fresh water unless it had been approved and cleared.

    ReplyDelete