Translate

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Favorite Artists -- #1 Mary Cassatt


Someone remarked that some of my paintings reminded them of Mary Cassatt, the renowned painter (1844-1926). I was flattered, of course. She’s probably one of my all time favorite artists. Our styles are different, but has she influenced my work? I’ll let you be the judge as I share painting’s of Cassatt alongside my own (a daring risk).


Our personalities certainly have many things in common: Cassatt was feisty, independent, restless, and determined. She was impatient with conventional teaching and accepted styles (I’m always bucking the system and the traditions). She formed her own opinions and kept her eye out for fresh opportunities; always receptive to new approaches. These attitudes brought her opposition and struggle for recognition from the “art establishment.”


Cassatt was more inclined to paint women and children than men. Dega was one of her favorite artists and he inspired her (as he does me). She wrote of him:



“How well I remember nearly 40 years ago, seeing for the first time Degas’ pastels in the window of a picture dealer on the Boulevard Haussmann. I used to go and flatten my nose against the window and absorb all I could of his art. It changed my life. I saw art then as I wanted to see it.”


Cassatt grew as an artist and began making on-the-spot sketches and studies which gave her finished oil paintings the same spontanaeity as the quick sketches done in pastel and drypoint. She had a freedom of color and brush stroke that added energy to her artwork, but she was always careful with detail where it mattered most.

Her endearing and enduring portraits drew me in and inspired my own paintings. I’ve discovered that without people, my landscapes seem hollow and empty. People give life to life. They are the reason for nature itself. I’m at my best when a painting includes people, even if the painting’s message is one of saddness or darkness.








Next blog, I’ll discuss another favorite artist and include a peak at my latest works-in-progress.

 

8 comments:

  1. I love the last picture, the little girl hugging her dad. What a nice way to wake up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Melody. That's one of my favorites, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed reading this post and viewing the artwork of Mary Cassatt. I like her painting of the mother and tiny infant most of all. Though it's not colored like the rest I strongly prefer it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for taking the time to visit my blog and comment. Your blog is amazing and so filled with great information. I'm glad you enjoyed reading about Mary Cassatt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol, I too am a fan of Mary Cassatt. I think it's the 'intimicay' of her paintings that attracts me, the fact that they're just moments from everyday life and not something spectacular.

    Someone once compared one of my pastel life paintings to her work but I had forgotten all about her so thank you very much for reminding me.

    Can't wait to see who your next favourite artist will be!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Judy, I wish I knew how to use pastel. I may try it with some of my drawings and see what happens. You're lucky to know how to use it. Thanks for stopping by friend.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I lived in Paris for several years. Impressionists are great! Best regards from Tyrol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol - I don't know whether this link will work here but it sounds as if this blog post was written especially for you!

    http://judyadamsonartanddesign.blogspot.com/2010/11/5-simple-steps-to-painting-in-pastels.html

    (If it doesn't work, it's a post called '5 Simple Steps to Painting in Pastels' - on my main blog.)

    ReplyDelete