Translate

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Sometimes a Change is as Good as a Rest

I’d finished my “India Rising” series, and I was totally drained. I needed to rejuvenate my creative juices before plunging into my next painting. I have two large canvases: both 24x30, and I haven’t for the life of me figured out what to paint.

I’m “Jonesing” for something with exotic flowers, a beautiful woman, and monkeys (go figure!). I may continue with India as my theme, or move into Jamaica or other parts of the Caribbean.













Another intriguing idea would be a young child, an innocent with a savage lion or beast and a passage of scripture; something about the “lamb shall lie down with the lion,” from Isaiah, or “a little child shall lead them,” from the New Testament. It will be fun to see which way my fantasies lead me.

But for now, the adage: “a change is as good as a rest” has given me a sense of relief.

While I change pace and wait for the muses, I’m “playing.” I’m doing two watercolor landscapes; a different ball game for me. The base of these paintings is rice paper. I’ve also dripped candle wax on the mountain scene that will eventually turn into white flowers. The corner of this painting is totally unfinished. Both pieces have had only the first coat of water color put on so I have a drawing or composition to work with.




The other project I’m working on is another pastel drawing. I love the medium and decided to do another celebrity: former President Ronald Reagan with his King Charles Spaniel, Rex. I love pastel so much, I’m thinking of adding pastel to the watercolor pieces to give them a bit of zing.



When you reach your creative limit, how do you deal with it? Do you go on vacation? Do you get depressed and mope for awhile? Or do you do as I do: change course and do something completely different? Love to hear how you cope.

1 comment:

  1. I head out the door to spend time with Mother Nature...my muse. Just looking at nature, seeing nature can get those creative thoughts going again. But I never try too hard, just let it come, it will.

    ReplyDelete