Translate

Friday, October 26, 2012

Take the Plunge; Dive into Your Work and Believe in Yourself


I’m a slow learner. I have to hear something many times before it “clicks,” and I finally understand. I have to paint many mistakes before my eyes actually see the object I’m struggling to paint. Mastering the art of painting, at least for me, has been a long and arduous journey.

Perhaps it seems that way because we don’t see how other people struggle behind the scenes. All we see is the finished product. We don’t know how many hours it took to paint that masterpiece. We sometimes wonder at the asking price, thinking it may be a tad high. Rarely do we know the time and effort that went into the project.

"Sand Cranes at Twilight"  24x30 mixed media canvas
I’m currently preparing for a show and trying to determine the price to put on my own paintings. First, I must consider the commission charged by the gallery, additional charges for credit card use, etc.; the cost of framing and materials, the amount of time and effort. By the time I consider the demands of the marketplace, my time is almost negligible!

I’m wondering if the show is really worth my efforts, and yet without publicity and advertising we remain at a standstill. There is satisfaction in seeing one’s work posted in a gallery. There is joy in making sales, even though, in the beginning of an artist’s career, it isn’t much.

"Window on Pine Island" 16x20 oil on wrap canvas
I’ll be participating with hundreds of other artists in the Art Council of Southwest Florida at Coconut Point. The location is good. The people are fantastic. Part of the fun of working with different leagues and galleries is the joy of meeting new people and making lasting friendships
.
Sure, I’ll give it a go. It’s all part of the adventure. You can’t just dip your toe in your profession or in the marketplace; eventually, you must take the plunge. Leaving your career to chance isn’t an option.

"Vikeholmen Lighthouse -- Skudeneshavn Norway" 16x20 acrylic
If you don’t give your dreams all you’ve got, you may as well hang them up to dry and let them wither on the vine of past regrets.


4 comments:

  1. We don't really see how much work an artists puts into making a portrait or similar, unless you know an artist. We usually just see the end result and then decide how much we think it's worth, usually to the disappointment of the one who was up for days painting and re-painting, who had sleepless nights getting it right, who travelled miles to get the canvass and utensils that were needed, who put off family functions to finish their work etc etc. AND after all that, someone casually takes a look and decides whether it is worth it or not. We don't really see what you do. What a position to be in.

    I'm sure your work will sell, and it will be worth every effort you put in. Always 'give your dreams all you've got', just like you said.


    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you all the best with it, Carol - and remember, sometimes it's a case of knowing when to stop painting! Sometimes a painting that has taken a long time to complete has lost its freshness and can look overworked and tired - not that yours ever do. But I don't think the length of time taken or the effort involved should ever be a consideration in pricing your work.

    ReplyDelete