Translate

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

Do you believe in Subliminal Messages?

"Queen of Diamonds" mixed media on 20x20 canvas
During the 60s and 70s, people looked for “conspiracy theories” and evil in almost everything: text books, novels, advertisements, political innuendo and subtleties. Truth was becoming nebulous and personal; "What is true for one person may not be true for others."

Personal superstitions contributed to this fever and a growing disbelief in absolutes. Well, guess what? They’re still doing it today and in much the same way. I viewed an analysis of an automobile commercial that was supposedly pumping out subliminal messages big time. There was talk about the devil, global governance, and how we were all being dragged into the abyss because we're a captive “couch potato” society.

I don’t know whether their conclusions are true, false, or absolutely ridiculous, but I will try to watch and listen more carefully to what I see, read, and how I become involved if only to be aware of the influences that surround me each day.

   
(I received ideas from these "Harlequin photos/prints above)


I admit, I grew up in a protected environment. For the most part, my upbringing included these admonitions: “Look for the good in all people; Accept people the way they are, and Don’t be judgmental.”

This advice has served me well even though, in the beginning, it made me somewhat naive and trusting. I learned the hard way that there is evil in the world, and that there are people out there who would take advantage of you to satisfy their own needs.

It's good to be aware of this fact, but not to the point of disabling your ability to enjoy people and to experience trust and love in a close circle of friends. Sometimes that means walking a precarious line between doubt and clarity. Experience provides the added ability to “trust your gut (intuition)” and to live without fear.

Some people search for truth in convoluted and confusing ways. They trust in authors and writers they may not know anything about. Instead of going to people they trust and asking for advice, they put their life in the hands of complete strangers.

("My Granddaughter served as my model)

Instead of looking back at what has happened in the past, they struggle to interpret what is going on today. I will say this about those who believe in God and in the truth of the Holy Bible: they seem to be more anchored. They allow absolute truth to guide their decisions.

If that isn’t you, please share with us here what “anchors” your life and makes you feel secure and confident in your decisions. It would be great if advertisers, authors and artists would share how you feel about the power of subliminal messages. Do they work?

Above all, make your life count for something. A life with “meaning” is filled with joy, peace, and accomplishment. How you achieve this becomes your own personal journey of discovery.

("Loved these eyes!  Decided to add them to my painting)

No comments:

Post a Comment