Translate

Friday, September 4, 2015

The New Art – Tactile, Wearable, Inscribed and Interactive

"Kindred Spirits" acrylic on canvas

A young woman that sits beside me in church on Sunday is emblazoned with tattoos on her arms and legs. One Sunday before service, she noticed my colorful cross necklace that a friend had purchased for me in Italy. She admired it, and I told her I was an artist and that a friend had given me the necklace as a gift.

She promptly stood up and began to show me the tattoos on her arms of which she was very proud. They were artistically done and I commented on their intricacy and beauty.

Once the service started, I had difficulty harnessing my spiritual attention as I gazed at the people sitting in the aisles ahead of me whose garments were colorfully and explicitly designed. I even got out a paper and pencil so I could sketch in quickly the ones that I thought would make stunning abstract art pieces with modifications and color changes. 


Artists can relate how hard it is to focus when you’re surrounded by artistic distractions.
Online galleries are adapting to the new trends. People who may not want to buy an expensive painting, seem willing to purchase a T-shirt or a pillow with that same painting printed on the surface. Smart phone covers, cards, and household wares are being embellished with art.

Now people don’t have to spend more than their budget allows to enjoy stunning artwork. They can purchase basic needs that are splashed in color and their favorite artist’s work.




Some artists have expanded their exposure via clothing, towels, and kitchen wares.
In a rocky economy, these outlets provide secondary income that may increase an artist’s popularity. Unfortunately, not all artwork lends itself to this marketplace, and some artists are changing their style for dollars and more accessibility. For those artists who are willing to make those compromises and changes, there is money to be made.

Adapting to a volatile market is key. Sadly many artists lag behind every new trend. Keeping up to date is difficult if your passion and style don’t lend themselves to fads and whims that fluctuate with a fickle public. Testing the waters with your own vision will at least keep you on the buyer’s radar.

For a look at "The Best Wearable Art, go to this link:  Wearable Art 


No comments:

Post a Comment