Translate

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Work in Progress II

An update on the progress of my contest winning painting called: "Love;" the second in the "With These Hands" Series. I'm showing three different views: the first photograph, "Work in Progress I," and the latest update of my work.

From this point on, the painting will progress in values (lights and darks). At the same time, I will be refining the details almost microscopically. I make slight changes and walk away. A few hours later, I may see something else that needs to be moved or changed. If I'm even a fraction off, the likeness will suffer. This is a time for learning and growing.

When do I stop adding values and refining the details? When I feel I have captured the spirit and the likness of the figures. Having never seen the people in person, my scope is somewhat limited. I usually like to start with live models and then move into photographs for memory recall.

I'm going to work on the child's hands next and then finish her dress. The daddy is not the central focus, so I don't want him to dominate the painting. I'll work on him once the girl is finished. At this point, I can see that he needs some skin toning and some highlights.

What do I do last? Make sure the background items support the composition, and then make changes or additions as needed. Last, but by no means least, I add highlights in just the right places to guide the eye through the painting. At this point the girl's hair is too dark and I will lighten it and add the appropriate highlights.

Your comments and questions are always welcome. Sometimes other people can see what I may have missed. I hope these progress reports are helpful. I'm not sure if I will do another "in progress" on this painting. I may just wait and show you the painting when it is finished. Unless you think another progress report would be helpful. What do you think?

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,

    This work in progress is looking very good. I can not wait to see it finished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coming along nicely. Deciding on the shading must be such an intuitive process. I'll be eager to see where you go next.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Working with a photograph is difficult because it is flat and you don't get the proper lighting to accent the shadows. This may lead to distortions in the likness. Tricky business! I printed the photo in black and white; this helps! Still having difficulty capturing that beautiful little face! I'll get there eventually.

    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete