Translate

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

What Do I have to Offer?

At one time or another, every person asks themselves the question: "What do I have to offer?" We compare ourselves to the competition and wonder if we’re up to the task. Oftentimes, we allow fear to essentially blow us away. We give up. We quit. We turn our backs on our God-given talent and let the pressures of life interfere with our dreams.


Kathy Davis a well known artist of greeting cards once said that her own self-doubt almost derailed her. A former art teacher with big dreams of designing greeting cards, she’s now one of the biggest names in the business, according to the Ladies’ Home Journal.

“There’s always someone better than you,” Kathy says. “At some point, you just have to say, ‘That’s OK, I still have something to offer.’”

Ain’t it the truth! Like you, I’m sometimes overwhelmed by the talented artists our there. But we can’t let that stop us from throwing our own hat into the ring. Each person has a unique vision of life and the environment. We see things through our own perceptions and experiences. I may not have as much education or experience as someone else, but I may be able to add a new twist or variation on the tried and true methods of the past that will make me stand out. Why not?


An old friend’s mother took up skiing in her sixties. “I looked at everyone else on that slope,” she said, “and I thought, if they can do it – why not me!” Indeed!

You are as as good as anyone else, and you have your own special flare. Why not you or me? If we have the will and the desire, we can make it happen. Dreams give us hope. Hope drives our purpose. Faith in God and in ourselves makes it all possible. Believe!

Today’s painting is from my “With These Hands” series. The young basketball player is hoping her shot will score as her opponents and teammates look on. “With These Hands – Hope” is the title of the painting. If you wish to see others in the series, please link to my online gallery: @ http://carol-allen-anfinsen.artistwebsites.com

7 comments:

  1. This is a very inspiring post and the comic made me giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the painting....and your words of wisdom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That you bring your own thing to art (even if you're not the "best") is what makes it art. Not to mention that there's rarely a "best" when art is involved anyway, which is one of the beauties of art: no "right" answers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice painting! You are right on the mark...you have to just strive to do your best in all you do. Everyone is different and has their own style. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved all of your comments. Each of you brings so much to the table, and I'm so glad I've gotten to know you through your blogs.

    Visit their blogs, people! What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well said, Mom! I needed to hear that today. I think I will put that on my wall...I have something to offer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, sweetie! I'm tring to inspire people by sharing the things I've learned along the way. Age does have some benefits, huh?

    ReplyDelete