Translate

Friday, May 20, 2011

Is my Work Becoming Stagnant?

What prompted me to ask this question?  Some time ago, I was discussing our church web site with a friend. I’m the webmaster, and I’d made a remark that parts of our web site "remained static" because it’s geared for investigators and visitors and not for members per se’.

“Oh, you mean It’s stagnant?” she quipped.

I hated the word the moment she said it. “Is our web page boring,” I thought, “or uninteresting?” The word “stagnant” stayed with me for months.


"Arabesque" 14x18 oil on canvas


I applied it to my artwork. Has my style and technique become stagnant over the years? If someone were to look at my work of twenty years ago and compare it to my artwork today, would they see progress? Would my work look fresh and edgy, or would it just reflect what I’ve produced in the past?

The dictionary defines stagnant as: motionless, dull, inactive, stays the same, not flowing in a current or stream.

Work in Progress -- 20x24 oil on canvas


Motionless applied to a painting might mean there’s no energy or life; either in the brushwork, or in the composition (fails to draw people in or to lead them to the center of interest i.e. not flowing). The colors may seem lifeless and bland (dull).

Those of you who’ve been following me know what I’ve painted over the past two years. For those of you who don’t, please go to my online gallery @ http://carol-allen-anfinsen.artistwebsites.com


I truly have made an effort to change-up my style and make it a bit more edgy. But is it working?

In this blog, I'm featuring my latest “work in progress.”

As you may remember, I planned on calling this new painting: “Sand Crane Dreams” because when I see sandhill cranes feeding and mating, they remind me of Native American dancers.

Unfortunately, when everyone else sees my canvas or offers critique, they have very different ideas.


The beginnings of "Sand Cranes Dream"


I’m in a quandry as to where to take this painting next? I may try to finish with my own personal sand crane concept and see what happens, or I may think of something else. Your suggestions and comments are always welcome.





10 comments:

  1. Your work is far from stagnant. For your information I think very few artists ever become stagnant. The word to use is style. They perfect their style. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know your old work but, the simple fact that you're thinking about it, shows you have an interest in doing something different. And then, next time you'll touch the brush you'll try to find news ways to do it. Over the time, the difference will show, but you have to keep thinking about it. I think that's how great artists think :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good points, as always. Thank you for responding.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know if you're stagnant or not growing - but I do know I like your work. I'm especially interested in where your Sand Cranes Dream painting goes. I like art like that a lot, seems like it will be very conceptual, almost like the middle ground between realist and abstract.

    You do go work. Sometimes, you just keep doing what works, and refine/tweak instead of reinvent.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Certainly something for me to think about! Your painting is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The unfinished painting? Maybe it's not unfinished. I've often wondered how an artist knows when she/he has applied that final brush stroke. I guess it's like when I have to decide that a story is done and it's time to put it out there on its naked little ownself.

    As a newcomer I find your art very vibrant and joyous. The colors make it seem so alive. Or as the old saying goes, I don't know much about art, but I know what I like!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What would I do without you guys? You are so supportive, and your comments are meaningful and helpful. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carol, I do believe that as long as we are changing and growing as people our art changes and grows. But we can't force it, just for the sake of change. Best to just keep on doing what you feel drawn to do - as long as you don't start 'copying yourself'. It's easy to think that because something has worked well once, you can fall back on that and keep producing more of the same. That's when an artist's work stagnates - and there's no sign of that in your work that I've seen! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Judy, you are ever so kind, and ever so right. I believe we end up painting what we love and what we enjoy. Hopefully, that will give our work a certain life and meaning.

    Thanks for your encouragement!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i would say that you are so lucky and blessed that you can express your soul such beautifully

    these painting are absolutely remarkable and speaking behalf your beautiful mind and heart.
    thanks for sharing dear god bless

    ReplyDelete