Translate

Friday, January 11, 2013

The New “Craze” – Painting on Glass



I’ve actually tried it; painted on glass, that is. I painted a pelican using acrylic paints. On the underside of the glass, I painted the water and some clouds. When it was dry, I cut blue card stock for the backing and added a frame. It wasn’t the most exciting painting I’ve done, but I was delighted with how the paint adhered to the cold glass and how easy it was to paint feathers and details.

(Drawing of Bella)
Glass painting has become a popular hobby. From painting wine glasses to adding a personal touch to pottery or plates, artists and craftsmen are discovering how easy it is to paint on glass.

I’ve also painted on mirrors which works the same way and there’s no need for a backing. If you want to add a tropical theme in a bathroom, or a vintage flare in a kitchen, painting on a mirror or the glass doors of a cupboard is fun and rewarding. The surface is cold and allows the paint to “gel” rather than run. Fine details stay put and the results are stunning.

It was the store Michael's that called this art form a new “craze.” Painting on wine glasses is the latest thing in Hostess Gifts because it adds your own personal signature and shows that you care. Other ideas and suggestions for painting on glass are found on a link I've provided below.

Painting on glass is a plus for artists because it makes affordable items for sale at boutiques and art shows. The designs can be more sophisticated than a stenciled design by adding an original twist that makes your artwork distinctive. Many artists have designed glass Christmas ornaments for sale during the holidays.

"Bella Bellissimo" Work in Progress
Painting on floor tiles that are naturally cold benefits from the same principles. Tiles are heavier than a canvas, but smaller. Sticky tabs for hanging can be placed on the back, and they make delightful mini canvases. 

I’ve not only painted on tiles, but I’ve printed some of my drawings and designs on decal paper and used medium gel to secure them to the tiles. Adding another coat or two of gel makes a nice glossy finish.

(My next painting will be "Kindred Spirits")
If you want a frame, simple modeling paste can be swirled or twisted around the edges and covered with a glossy paint. I personally like white on white so that my painting or decal stands out.

(Simplistic charcoal  drawing on 24 x 30 canvas)
If you haven’t tried it you should. It’s downright fun and satisfying. 


Here’s a link for more tips and informationGlass Painting Tutorial

4 comments:

  1. I used to enjoy painting on glass when we had a little bookshop and I painted the themes on the shop window for the displays - such as coloured leaves in Autumn, Palm Trees and a Beach in Summer. If I needed to do writing I used to draw it on tracing paper and tape it to the outside of the window and paint it from inside, making sure I didn't end up with mirror-writing for the passers-by! As it needed to be washed off from time to time, I used children's powder paints, mixed to a thick consistency with washing up liquid and that was fine as long as there wasn't too much condensation on the windows! It was great fun - and really drew the customers, which was important as we were in a side-street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like fun, Judy; now we have the internet which is a challenge sometimes. I belong to "Blog Catalog" and I just recently learned that the numbers by my profile each day/week were notifications. I had almost 1500 that I hadn't responded to (and then I wonder why I don't get many comments!).

      I just discovered a place called vinylquotes.com Reasonable prices and you get the letters and then just press them on. It's easy. My daughter-in-law had a saying on their kitchen wall. I'm trying it on my next canvas. We'll see how it works!

      Delete
  2. I have painted on glass, ornaments and wine glasses, and love the way the paint flows...

    I posted my first wine glass and glass vase painting on my other blog..
    http://treasuresbyyou.blogspot.com/2011/07/slick-as-glass.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for sharing, Cathy. I'll check it out!

      Delete