Translate

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Dare to Expose Your Soft Under Belly

(Work in progress; acrylic under painting)

I’m showing some of my art at a small café with a Bohemian flare. The owner is trying to create a unique niche in the community. Various groups have scheduled activities there on different nights: game playing, dancing, guest bands, etc. Whether the venture will be profitable is yet to be determined.


"Hey, Coconut Mon" mixed-media (oil on acrylic under painting) 18 x 24
I love the entrepreneurial spirit. I’m always amazed at the gutsy leap of faith that entrepreneurs are willing and eager to take. Which brings me to my next point: to be successful, you must be willing to fail. Taking chances must be an active consideration in making decisions. Either you take the plunge and risk humiliation, loss of money or reputation, in some cases, or you stagnate. It’s that simple.

Every entrepreneur, every artist gets bruised in the upward climb; daring to reveal his or her under belly in order to gain exposure. If you hold back or put self-imposed limits on yourself because of fear or embarrassment, you’ll never reach your goals nor fulfill your dreams.
(I'd like to paint this)
(Close-up of Morning Glories)
I recently purchased a rather expensive frame for a painting I want to submit to an art gallery. If it doesn’t make the juried “cut,” I’m out money and opportunity. I was still smarting for having been turned down because of a less than stellar frame. I may have over-compensated, but I’m determined.

Professionals walk a fine line between actual budgets and obtaining the necessary tools of their trade. The adage “it takes money to make money” is sadly true. Self confidence is equally important.

When you believe in yourself enough to stand up and be counted, your education and skills will make up for any lack of courage or timidity you may have. Negotiating and dealing with people are learned behaviors. Fear can be overcome through practice and determination.


(Beautiful scenes in my neighborhood that inspire me! -- This is winter here, folks!)
It never hurts to show your tender side. That doesn’t mean rolling over and playing dead, but it does mean making yourself vulnerable to exposure and opportunity.


(These sandhill cranes reminded me of Indians dancing and inspired the painting below)
"Sand Crane Dreams" mixed-media; 18 x 24

3 comments:

  1. I've never been a risk taker as I feel that people lose out too much before they make a gain. But after reading your post, I saw risk in a completely different way. Not all risks are about losing your family, home, business etc... Risk can show you that you are better than you think, you have more stamina than you think or that you are capable of doing the things that you dream about. I must put the fear of risk to bed this year.

    I love the beautiful scenery in your neighbourhood, more-so because we are in the midst of snow right now and most probably won't see colourful plants for a while.

    I also loved the painting of the boy climbing the coconut tree. He looks so content and happy. A post I needed to read right now. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You made my day! We obviously are in the same boat and can't risk losing family or money. That just shows our priorities are in the right place! But we can risk feeling uneasy by putting ourselves out there and also recognizing opportunity when it stares us in the face.

      Thanks so much for your comments and good luck in the future!

      Delete
  2. This is something I've been thinking about this week - and blogging about too - as it's the third anniversary of my blog and with every blog post we are taking a risk of one sort or another!

    So I'm one hundred per cent with you on the benefits of taking the risk of failing, Carol!

    'Who dares, wins!' I take that to mean that even if we 'fail', we are in a stronger position than if we hadn't been prepared to 'feel the fear and do it anyway'!

    ReplyDelete