Translate

Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Artist’s and Writer’s Block (Repeat of a blog from 3+ years ago)

(Photo from a friend in Uganda)
If you're a creative person, it's inevitable that at some point in your career or avocation you're going to bump up against a blank wall. The feeling can be frightening, even devastating, but it doesn't have to keep you down.

Over the years I've discovered a few things that may trigger these events. I'll share some of my thoughts with you, knowing that your trigger's may also be different from mine. For whatever it's worth, here are my top four:

(Putting the drawing in place)
  1. Fatigue and lack of sleep. I know, it sounds simplistic, but you can't create in a sleepless fog. When your tail is draggin' so is your mind. Your perspective gets out of whack, and life seems sadder, badder, and meaner. When you wake up refreshed, you're ready to tackle almost anything. Get your Zzz's.

  2. Depression. This is a real deep-down feeling of helplessness and worthlessness. This baby will pull you into a downward spiral that has no end. Mild depression is a part of life's ups and downs, but clinical depression can drag you into a dark abyss where life has no meaning. Get help!  If the cause is a bad marriage or an abusive relationship, get out!

  3. Low self-esteem. A few negative words or harsh criticism can throw you for a loop. We can say "sticks and stones," and believe that words can never hurt us, but they do. Bullies can knock the wind out of your creative sails. Personal failure can push you flat on your back. The only answer is to grab hold of a power bigger than yourself and get up again. Quit worrying about what other people think. Your opinion of yourself is the only one that matters.

  4. Lack of exposure. Sometimes we need to shake things up a little. Get out and experience life. Change the scene. Surprise yourself -- do something new. Try something you've never done before. I'm not suggesting going overboard and getting yourself into trouble. I'm only saying get out of the house. Go somewhere different. Try to see the world with a new perspective. Get some fresh air!
"Hey, Coconut Man" mixed media on canvas
I remember my first art show after letting my skills and brushes lie dormant for many years. I was terrified. How would people react to my artwork? How would they view my lame attempts to restore those lost years when my own self-esteem was slumping?

I muttered a prayer, something like "Oh, Lord what am I doing? What if I look like a fool?" A warm feeling and an encouraging thought came to me: "Give it a try--you might be surprised."
On that simple note, I displayed my paintings. I know some of them were pretty awful, but not all. Two women, I swear they were angels in disguise, bought one of my paintings right off. That sale gave me the confidence and the courage I needed to keep on keeping on.

"Twirling" Charcoal sketch (Drawing quick sketches releases my imagination.)
And there you have it: my secret formula for getting out of a "funk."  Next time you can't think and your mind's a blank, start writing, start painting anyway; anything--anything at all. Pretty soon the blood will get moving and you'll push right past that blank wall. Of course, a little prayer never hurts!
(Below is my favorite sketch "Siesta" done purely from imagination)


4 comments:

  1. This is a really good read because I had the dreaded writers block almost 2 weeks ago, and it didn't feel good. I also like the 4 reasons you gave because any or all of them can have a big effect on how you think and how you write. There have been times when I've stayed at home for days without seeing anyone and just by going out in the fresh air for an hour or so, its changed my thinking. As for number 1, I've had insomnia for years and nothing I do has really helped it. Maybe one day. Great post and as usual I loved the artwork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have sleeping problems, too. It seems like my best sleep is just before it's time to get up! I swear by the outdoors and the fresh air. It gets you out of yourself and is so necessary. You are a dear! Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for reposting this, Carol. Some wonderful suggestions. I rarely suffer writer's block. What I do experience is a lack of interest. I tend to write only when I feel like writing, when something occurs to me to write. Otherwise I'm either relaxing or busy off doing other things. Coincidentally, my aphorism this week is about creativity-at least my take on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really tough to "push" creativity. But sometimes you can't sit and wait for an idea, you have to make one happen! Loved your aphorism about creativity. Even better was the ones that made me laugh: "When you spit on a rose, a rose is still a rose." Now that's a gem!

      Delete