Translate

Monday, May 7, 2012

Mind over Matter – Imagination is at the Heart of it!


"Shimmy Shake" 11x14 mixed media


I’m working on some illustrations. Aside from the story line, I’m creating purely from imagination. The more I create, the better it gets! The secret is to see clearly an image of what you want to paint or draw. In this way, an artist breathes life into a painting by creating real characters that seem almost alive.



There is great freedom in creating this way. Sometimes I need a model or a photo to see how an elbow or a knee looks when it’s bent at a certain angle. Or I may want to capture a frown or a surprised face and verify how that emotion shapes the human face. Are there wrinkles around the eyes? Does the mouth form an “o” shape?

"Moonshines" 18x24 mixed media

My imagination seems to be working overtime these days. I’m seeing faces and forms on our bathroom floor caused by water marks and the path of the sunlight as the day progresses. I try to draw these faces quickly before they get away.

Having a sketch book at hand when you’re not at your work station makes the job easier. As a writer, I learned to carry a moleskin notebook with me wherever I went. I’m still a note taker jotting down my first impressions of a subject. My descriptions later turn into drawings.

"Lucky Lady" 11x14 mixed media

The most important treasure an artist has is his imagination. It is a living and breathing thing that needs to be nurtured, coaxed, and used in order to thrive. By doodling a little each day, your imagination can be teased and coddled into being creating artwork or characters that may be fleshed out into something more substantial.

Many abstract paintings have faces, images, and forms tucked away in places that bring an intense interaction with the viewer. These images may be from collages or strictly from imagination. They bring a human element into the work that becomes personal and intimate.

"Release" 24x30 mixed media
The more you use your imagination, the freer your brushwork will become. Loose brush strokes add energy and vitality to an otherwise static painting. By learning to visualize your subject matter, you’ll be able to create something truly original.

Even a painting done from a photograph can take on a life of its own when you allow your mind to run wild and your heart full control over your paint brush.



(The above pictures are part of a two-page spread in my children's book: "Inez Ibis Flies Again")

The book is about how to deal with a disability and moving into self acceptance:

"I know a place where heron feed," she offered, encouraged by Will's thoughtfulness. "Would you like to go?"

"I'm there," Will said as he lifted his wings against the twilight.

Inez forgot all about her leg as she made ready to fly. She didn't notice the limping and the hopping before take off. She was beyond happy, and Will was her friend.







6 comments:

  1. I love that you can see faces on your floor...I am finding lately that I see poems everywhere - a slightly different art, but a vision nonetheless! Keep pampering those creative juices!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Poetry is, indeed, an art. What a blessing to be able to write and think poetically. Thanks for your comments, Melody!

      Delete
  2. Carol, love the paintings and drawings, and the idea for your children's book. It's funny how only what the imagination creates seems to make sense, at least in the arts. I'm sure you must know this wonderful little poem of Emily Dickinson:

    "To make a prairie it takes a clover and one bee,-
    One clover, and a bee,
    And revery.
    The revery alone will do
    If bees are few."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Dickinson always gets right to the "heart of it!" Thanks again, for stopping by and sharing your thoughts with us.

      Delete
  3. I love the way you encourage freedom and non-adherence to binding rules, Carol!

    But you might be surprised to know that I am really, REALLY bad at visualising! I'm far worse at it than the pupils I tried to teach spelling by using an NLP visualising method - which amused and encouraged my strugglers! People find it hard to believe that I don't 'see' my pictures in my 'mind's eye' and I find it hard to know just where they do come from! I do sometimes get a very fleeting image but I can't hold on to it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do find that hard to believe, Judy. Your cards are marvelous! It really does take practice. I illustrated a childrens' book and that forced me to visualize. It was all imagination. I'm doing another for someone else. I will add that professionally, I wrote scripts for videos and training. I had to visualize the pictures for the photographers. It helped me later when I decided to draw and paint.

      Delete