Translate

Friday, November 9, 2012

Giving Yourself Permission to Fly


"Arabesque" 14x18 oil on canvas
Do you notice how often you hold yourself back with negative thinking? “I’m not good enough. I don’t want to make a fool out of myself. Others may think I’m weird. Who am I to compete with the “pros?” And on and on, we tear ourselves down.

When we let ourselves go, when we “let it all hang out,” so to speak, we acknowledge that we trust our own instincts and ideas. We give ourselves permission to try, to experiment, and to create what is uniquely ours. This requires boldness and courage on our part. But there is no other way.

"Anhinga in Paradise" 16x20 watercolor
If we want to excel, to soar, and to release the grandeur that is in us. We must let go of fear, doubt, and dependency. We must stand alone and seek our own place in the sun. We must value our own opinions and ideas at least as much as we value others.

Skill cannot be increased if we decrease the motivation behind it. We add fuel to our dreams when we fan the flames of confidence and hope. Strength comes gradually as we forge ahead in spite of fear. We keep working toward our goal, letting go of the things that weigh us down or hold us back.

"Loggerhead Shrike in Springtime" 16x20 acrylic on panel
The adage “If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again,” may be old, but the concept is still fresh and new. We must pick ourselves up after we fall or fail, and try again. Repeating this behavior over and over again will eventually lead to success.

Hard work, blood, sweat and tears are still the only way to achieve anything worthwhile. If you take the easy way out or cheat on the principles, you end up hurting yourself.

A friend of mine had a mentally disabled child.  She started standing and walking before she learned to crawl. There were many things she did “out of order” and her brain had devised alternative patterns that slowed down and impeded her mental development.

Volunteers came in each day to work with the child. They moved her young legs across the floor and taught her how to crawl. They worked with her hands, and played games to provide new patterning for her brain.

"Berry Christmas" 16x20 acrylic on panel
In God’s wisdom, a person must learn to crawl before he can walk. He must learn to read before he can gain knowledge. He must practice before he can play or perform.

These are the same patterns and “models” for success. Developing skill is difficult, but it is essential. Talent is a plus. Love and desire are important components. But practice and hard work are the wings on which we fly.

"Sandhill Cranes at Twilight" 24x30 mixed-med on canvas
Featured Artist
Light & shadow video by Stan Prokopenko


6 comments:

  1. Carol I agree with everything you have covered and it is the will that keeps us going down the road of pursuit or creation. We must try and try again I have to say this if the negative falls onto the road you must grab the eraser and start over again. Forward is not always correct the first time and can shut the door of achievement if you don't pursue the next step. I find that I have an attitude that I can do anything and that flag waves everyday of my life, but sometimes I achieve my goal and just move on taking on new ideas or challenges.
    This just adds to my spirit and talent that God gave me. I am teaching now and have new hills to climb and I don't want to be short of breath.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, Bob. I appreciate our friendship and enjoy sharing ideas. I would like to feature you as an artist. Is it possible for you to send me a copy of a painting or print and a short bio or comment? Love to feature you as an artist with links!

      Delete
  2. Hi Carol - I've read that in order to succeed in art and/or design, we need to be persistent, prolific and able to take rejection. And you've just about covered all those points and fleshed them out beautifully!

    (At the same time, though, I think it's important to remain 'playful' in making art.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! Play is important. I think when you love what you do, play comes naturally.

      Delete
  3. Every experience in life affords you with a lesson or two. Learn from it and do better for yourself the next time around. "To handle yourself, use your head; to handle others, use your heart." - Eleanor Roosevelt on Relationship quotes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the quote from Eleanor Roosevelt -- good advice! We do learn best from our own mistakes. Thanks for your comments!

      Delete